An 800 participant survey conducted by the National Small Business Association shows more small businesses are managing their own IT and web sites. Other differences noted between the 2013 survey and a similar survey conducted in 2010 include:
- desktop usage grew by 11% (76% to 87%)
- laptop usage grew by 17% (67% to 84%)
- smartphone usage grew by 17% (57% to 74%)
- growth in businesses allowing telecommuting – 16% (44% – 60%)
- online bank account management grew by 10% (73% – 83%)
Notably there was a 12% drop in businesses using external service providers for technical support and a 15% increase in business owners providing their own technical support. Similarly, there was an 11% drop in companies paying external providers for web support accompanied by an 18% increase in owners that do it themselves. (I’m guessing WordPress and other blog frameworks had a lot to do with that.) Social media presence also grew substantially with LinkedIn leading with a 20% increase.