Tired of looking for the right words when trying to impress your boss, friends, or potential future spouse with a description of the Internet of Things, aka IoT ? Well look no further !
The 10 word version
Here’s a 10 word version. An IoT device is one that:
2. Is networked
3. Interacts with the environment in some way
The 20 word version
And once you’ve impressed them with this knowledge that just rolled off your tongue, feel free take it further with the 20 word version!
2. Is networked
3. Interacts with the environment with the intention of collecting sensory data and/or manipulating the local environment
- A FitBit device computes, is networked, & interacts with the environment (ie you)
- An industrial SmartGrid meter computes, is networked, & interacts with the environment (collects power data)
- A residential Nest meter computes, is networked, and interacts with the environment (collects temperature data)
- Chicago’s Array of Things devices compute, are networked, and interact with the environment (collect many environmental data points)
- Blood glucose monitors compute, are networked, and interact with the environment (ie you)
- and much much more !!
And then, while impressing those around you, you can bring it on home with the definition of an IoT System. An IoT system:
1. Is a set of IoT devices that
2. Communicate with each other and/or communicate with
3. A central server that aggregates data and/or provides control data
Congratulations on your assured future personal, social, and professional successes now that a handy definition of IoT is at your disposal!